The 12th Annual 2018 Keith Hall Summer Drum Intensive is in the books.
47 Drummers and a host of stellar pro musicians and coaches!
Photo Credit: Casey Spring https://www.caseyspring.net/index
Big thanks to our amazing 2018 staff:
Rufus Ferguson, Phil Palombi, Matt Landon, John Sutton, Ashley Daneman, Andrew Rathbun, Matthew Fries, Matt Hughes, Edye Evans Hyde, Benje Daneman, Jay Ortega, Casey Spring, Jay Sawyer, Christian Euman, Ethan Bouwsma, Ryan Demeniuk, Madison George, Steven Perry, Brad Crossland, Carter Zamora, Bryer Magnuson, Danny Gayden, Grace Hall, Hannah Hall, Josie Hall, Tamera Hall, Jane Kozhevnikova and special guests: Adam Nussbaum, Nick Ruffini and Peter Retzlaff.
Week 1: June 17-22, 2019 Beginning/Intermediate
Week 2: June 24-June 29, 2019 Advanced
Registration begins in January
The Keith Hall Summer Drum Intensive is a week-long drum camp held on the campus of Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The focus here is jazz drumming for all ages and levels. (11-65+ years!)
During the week, students will learn new music during rehearsals and performances with various professional rhythm sections, a vocalist a horn player, and a drum choir. Students participate in a number of activities including:
- Jazz Rhythm Section Concepts: Study classic rhythm sections, learn tunes and gain valuable experience working with a world-class rhythm section from New York City.
- Drum Set Master Classes: Set up, tuning, ride cymbal focus, time,
comping, brushes, soloing, independence, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban and much more…
- Listening and Analysis: Study the styles of important jazz drummers.
- Drum Set Choir: Perform as part of a drum set ensemble.
- Evening Jam Sessions: Jam with other students and staff.
- Skype Master Classes: Have included Billy Hart, Will Kennedy, Tommy Igoe, Carl Allen, Chuck Silverman, Donny McCaslin, Sammy K, Andrew Rathbun, Phil Maturano, Derico Watson, Geoff Clapp and Quincy Davis.
- Personal Health: Focus on personal development through confidence and healthy choices
- The Staff includes talented drummers from around the U.S. who are Keith’s past and present WMU students
- The Pro Rhythm Sections include Keith’s New York City trio TRI-FI, and all-stars from around the country.
- Full dormitory housing and cafeteria services are available.
- The Final Concerts are held at The Union Cabaret and Grille in downtown Kalamazoo.
PRAISE FOR KHSDI
“It truly does get better each year and that says a lot because the bar keeps getting higher.”
-Jim, Returning Student
“Not only was our son’s drumming taken to a new level, his confidence and social interactions were challenged and growth was realized!”
PRAISE FOR KHSDI
“This years intensive was my favorite by far! So much positive energy and vibe! I hope to be back next year!”
-Sam, Returning Student
“I am very impressed with the pedagogical strength-based style and creativity after observing the intensive drum program. I was stunned at the kids’ improvement in confidence and skill in one week.”
“It immediately changed the way I viewed the instrument and performance…the entire staff was so very helpful!”
“We were thrilled… I truly believe you could not find a comparable experience anywhere…an experience of a lifetime!”
– Eugene & Jan P.–Parents
KHSDI was featured in DownBeat Magazine April 2016
The KHSDI was featured in the September 2011 issue of DownBeat Magazine!
Past Summer Drum Intensive Highlights
Every year has been a fantastic experience for the staff and the students, full of moments to remember. We’ve collected some highlights from past KHSDI camps.
Bill Wood wrote an article for the Kalamazoo Gazette about the 2010 camp.