2013 7th Annual Keith Hall Summer Drum Intensive
“It truly does get better each year and that says a lot because the bar keeps getting higher.”
-Jim, Returning Student
“Not only was our son’s drumming taken to a new level, his confidence and social interactions were challenged and growth was realized!”
“This years intensive was my favorite by far! So much positive energy and vibe! I hope to be back next year!”
-Sam, Returning Student
“I am very impressed with the pedagogical strength-based style and creativity after observing the intensive drum program. I was stunned at the kids’ improvement in confidence and skill in one week.”
“We were thrilled… I truly believe you could not find a comparable experience anywhere…an experience of a lifetime!”
- Eugene & Jan P.–Parents
8th Annual Sign Up will begin January 2014
Week 1: June 16-21, 2014 Beginning/Intermediate
Week 2: June 23-28, 2014 Advanced
Open to students of all ages.
The Keith Hall Summer Drum Intensive is a week-long drum camp held on the campus of Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The focus here is jazz drumming for all ages and levels. (11-60+ years!)
During the week, students will learn new music during rehearsals and performances with various professional rhythm sections, a dynamic vocalist, and a drum choir. Students participate in a number of activities including:
- Jazz Rhythm Section Concepts: Study classic rhythm sections, learn tunes and gain valuable experience working with a world-class rhythm section from New York City.
- Drum Set Master Classes: Set up, tuning, ride cymbal focus, time, comping, brushes, soloing, independence, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban and much more…
- Transcriptions: Learn how to write and play what you hear on CDs.
- Listening and Analysis: Study the styles of important jazz drummers.
- Drum Set Choir: Perform as part of a drum set ensemble.
- Evening Jam Sessions: Jam with other students and staff.
- Skype Master Classes: Have included Billy Hart, Will Kennedy, Tommy Igoe, Chuck Silverman, Donny McCaslin, Sammy K, Andrew Rathbun, Carl Allen and Quincy Davis.
The KHSDI has expanded to 2 camps in order to accept more students and better focus the curriculum.
- The talented staff includes Keith’s past and present WMU drum students
- The professional rhythm sections include Keith’s New York City trio TRI-FI, and all-stars from around the country.
- Full dormitory housing and cafeteria services are available.
- The Final Concerts are held at The Union Cabaret and Grille in downtown Kalamazoo.
The KHSDI was featured in the September 2011 issue of DownBeat Magazine!
Past Summer Drum Intensive Highlights
Every year has been a fantastic experience for the staff and the students, full of moments to remember. We’ve collected some highlights from past KHSDI camps.
Bill Wood wrote an article for the Kalamazoo Gazette about the 2010 camp.